Tuesday, February 22, 2011

X-MEN (Arcade Game)


Emulated via MAME

Cheats Used: None

Ah, X-Men. My favorite Marvel series (thanks largely to the excellent 90s cartoon). Growing up, I think the X-Men appealed to me because my autism made me feel like a mutant (still does, in fact) and I was able to identify with the characters easily. This arcade game was released alongside a pilot called “Pryde of the X-Men”. The pilot (which is corny, yet fun) failed to produce a series, but hey, we got a cool game out of it. At the start, you can pick from six characters: Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Dazzler. I played through as Dazzler. As you move through the levels, you mostly fight Sentinels, every mutant’s natural enemy. At the end of every level is a boss, usually one of the X-Men’s great villains (Pyro, The Blob, Emma Frost, etc.) and eventually you meet Magneto for a final showdown. In addition to your standard attack, you can also use your mutant power. However, doing so drains your health bar. Fortunately, this being run on an emulator, you have infinite continues, so I was able to spam my mutant power during boss fights. The “engrish” in this game is hilarious (“I am Magneto! Master of magnet!”), which only adds to the charm. All in all, one of the best superhero games. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment